24 February 2010

National defense

As a military officer, I swore to defend the Constitution "against all enemies, foreign and domestic". It occurs to me, however, that our greatest enemy is domestic - it is us. Specifically, our sin and immorality. Not that I think the Constitution, or any other governmental system, is a savior or the key to our problems in any enduring sense. It is just that as a sojourning citizen of these United States, and a proud member of U.S. military, the best way I can uphold my oath to defend the Constitution is to boldly proclaim the Gospel, calling all men to repent and believe. The more our nation falls into sin, the more we can expect Divine judgment - as we are already experiencing in crime rates, abortion, divorce, and corrupt politicians.
I think we in the Church are most to blame. We have abdicated our responsibility to be salt and light. We have allowed the culture to shape us instead of spreading the Gospel to shape the culture. God forgive us. Strengthen us and enable us to be your representatives in this world, boldly proclaiming your truth in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment