08 March 2010

Means and Ends

Speaking of putting experience over theology, I had an experience with that just yesterday. In his sermon, using John 7:37-39 as his text, the preacher at my church spoke of the possibility of the Holy Spirit being active in our lives. He said that Jesus wants to give us more. He said that it is not coming to church that we need, it is not more Bible reading that we need, it is not Bible studies that we need. We just need Jesus. We just need to experience more of Him.
Now, this is a message I have heard before and, quite frankly, it irritates me. How, exactly, do they expect us to "experience Jesus"? Should I sit on a mat in the lotus position with my eyes closed? Should I go about my normal business and wait for Him to "show up"? If He did, what would it look like? (We are usually told that you just know).
What the preacher was doing, along with many others who convey a similar message, is confuse the ends with the means. It is true that our Christian life is not about "doing stuff" like Bible reading and going to church meetings - it is about a relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. And, these speakers are right to try to turn our focus to the ultimate purpose that needs to be in view. But, you can't leave out the means to achieving that end. One experiences Jesus by reading the Bible, spending time in prayer, meeting with others who love Him, etc. I don't think it is helpful to tell people that these things aren't important.  It is important to teach that they should not be an end in and of themselves, but they are a means to an end, namely experiencing Jesus.
Sorry, this hasn't been my most organized post - I know I rambled a bit.  The important thing is that we do develop an intimate relationship with our Lord Jesus (experience Him) through Bible reading, prayer, fellowship with other believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment