07 March 2010

Theology shapes experience

This week, my first issue of "Christianity Today" showed up in the mail.  I didn't subscribe to the magazine.  I still don't know who signed me up.  I have shied away from CT in the past because it has seemed to me that they have succumbed in no small way to liberalism and cultural relevance.  It caught my eye, then, that the cover story was about doctrine.  This is a hot-button issue for me because I think it is woefully neglected in our churches today. 
I was pleasantly surprised to read the article by Darren C. Marks, "The Mind Under Grace: Why theology is an essential nutrient for spiritual growth".  He holds up doctrine and theology as a starting point in our Christian lives, rather than our own spiritual experience.  He states, "I see doctrine not as a boundary but as a compass.  Its purpose is not to make Christians relevant or distinctive but rather to make them faithful in their contexts [emphasis his]".  Mr. Marks holds up Friedrich Schleiermacher as one who has led the church down the wrong path in this regard.  Schleiermacher taught us to start with our spiritual experience and to build theology around those experiences.  Mr. Marks comments, "A theology grounded in experience ultimately fades into soft moralism, humanism, or, in the unique case of American Christianity, a civic religion wherein God and country are easily confused". 
In contrast, the Bible should inform our doctrine, which should shape our experience.  As stated by Mr. Marks, "We do not start with 'my spirituality' and then identify core beliefs.  Instead, we begin with core beliefs - those discovered by the church as it has intellectually wrestled with the truth of Scripture in the dynamic presence of the Holy Spirit.  These beliefs, which come from outside myself, correct and shape my spiritual experience".  Deitrich Bonhoeffer is held up as a counter example to Scheiermacher.  "Bonhoeffer knew, as did Calvin, Augustine, and many others, that dry, seemingly irrelevant ideas like the Trinity, the Incarnation, the Atonement, and eschatology are crucial elements of our spiritual formation". 
I could go on about the importance of doctrine and theology in our lives and our churches; and I will in posts to come as God gives me grace.  However, this is enough for now.  Suffice it to say that this article was a welcome surprise.  If you can get a copy of the March issue of CT, I highly recommend reading the whole thing.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent posts the last couple of days. I so agree with what you are saying. Doctrine acts as a compass (Love that term!) to our spirituality and if I may make a play on words,
    we need both— our personal spirituality, “encompassed” by doctrine. We need to see the bible as a WHOLE the way it was intended, not taking bits and pieces of verses out of context. (Although, I do believe everything we need is found in scripture, I agree with what Mr. Marks said, “ . . . those [core beliefs]discovered by the church as it has intellectually wrestled with the truth of Scripture in the dynamic presence of the Holy Spirit.”)

    Lately, I’ve befriended a couple Jehovah’s Witnesses that showed up at my door, and this is the point, exactly. They mistrust the church and doctrine and rely solely on their New Covenant Translation, which takes random verses out of context to prove their point that Jesus, although the Son of God is not God, but a created being. They take verses that point to his separateness, which cannot be argued with, because Jesus is indeed a separate entity. But, he is also God! It is through doctrine, that we come to know this triune God, by seeing the whole of scripture. It is doctrine that coined the term Trinity, which is part of the core of our faith.

    That being said, some churches take much liberty with doctrine (or more correctly their interpretation of doctrine—specifically the Catholic Church). We recently checked out “Luther” from the library and are half way through watching it. We were shocked with the license given to those in positions of authority to interpret the intent of scripture. Yet, from the same people came the Creeds (if I am not mistaken), that is an important part of my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting.
    It has been said that all people are theologians. The only question is whether they are good ones or bad ones (i.e. have well thought-out beliefs and can account for where they come from, or not).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig, you can safely read CT if you frequently visit Baylyblog.com and take the antedote offered there by David and Tim Bayly. They'll keep the toxins from settling into your soul. Hope all is well out there on the Left Coast. We're sinking in the swamp here in Lejeune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Having received two issues now, I find that only a few articles interest me. The magazine seems to exhibit a low level of cultural discernment and often panders to all pockets of Christian understanding. I checked out Baylyblog and I think it looks good. Already subscribed to their RSS feed.

    ReplyDelete